Some people live on this Earth as if they have another planet set up somewhere in the universe that they plan to move to once this one gets too filled with litter. Some people live on this Earth carrying on their lives believing that plants and animals are theirs for the taking. And some people live on this Earth believing it is their mission in life to live in harmony with all living creatures and to leave the planet a little bit of a better place than it was when they got here.
We call nature our ‘Mother’, but do we really treat it like the way we do our mothers? Today, we are unaware of the fact that we are destroying the very world we are destined to live in and which is going to be our future living place. We are exploiting the valuable resources, cleaning up the forests, rivers and the entire ecosystems in out greed for money and other products. However, we still have ample time left to change the way we live and how we utilise the limited resources we have.
You might joke that there needs to be an instruction manual for life, just think of this as adding in a section that includes simply ways to take care of the planet. The same as instructions on how to keep teeth shiny and muscles strong, we should make a point to show our children how to care for their surroundings. Good habits are fostered early, so what better way to raise a lil Nature destroyer than to start now. I’ll be sharing some effective ways which can make kids realize the importance of Green and this will encourage them to save our ‘Mother Nature’.
5 Ways to teach our kids to save the nature :
1. Use paper wisely
- Make a space for reusable paper / Use scrap paper
- Use both sides of paper
- Use cloth napkins
- Borrow, share and use old books.
2. Introduce your kids to gardening
- Visit a local state or national park, many of which feature protected forest lands
- Share plant seeds to friends or neighbours
- Plant trees at your home and in every other place possible
3. Nature Does Not Belong to You
- When brushing your teeth, remember to turn off the water because you share that with animals, plants, and other people
- Just because you like that flower doesn’t mean you can pluck it
- Be Compassionate Towards all Living Things
4. Let your kids get dirty
- Teaching children about planting and growing is not only fun, but it teaches them the essentials of environmental conservation. Quite simply, you give what you get when it comes to growing plants of any kind
- Play and create with trash
- Show children where food actually comes from. This will instil a sense of appreciation for the Earth in them
- Once you dig in the dirt, plant a seed, and taste the incredible flavor of a home-grown tomato, you understand the power of dirt and how important it is to protect it.
5. Encourage them to clean the environment
- Tell them that the concept of cleaning is not only applicable for toy rooms and bedrooms, but it works for the Earth too
- Teach children to be conscious about what they pour down the sink like ‘no chemicals allowed’
- Make them aware of how to recycle properly, and the importance of composting.
- Tell them that they are the ones who will be most affected by any damage done to nature
Kids must be educated about saving the environment at a young age itself. In this way, the awareness is created early and they can also influence other kids to do the same. Global warming, pollution and other environmental concerns are on the rise which is greatly harming the environment. If kids can play a role in helping to save the earth, it will be great and we can together strive towards a cleaner and greener Earth.